Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Old Fashioned Candy Canes

Good morning friends! I'm winding down with the Christmas projects, this is one of the ones I've been putting off since last Christmas! You see, last year right after Christmas I saw these gorgeous old fashioned candy canes in the liquor store on clearance. I snapped up whatever they had left thinking they would keep till this holiday. Well, I stored them in a box in a kitchen cabinet and when I went to get them out a couple of months ago, they were completely ruined. Melted and gooey and icky! Who would have thought hard candy could do that? I didn't. But as it turned out, these are all natural, no preservative candy canes from Hammond Candies, so they weren't meant to last that long, lol! 
Well, I waited, and waited to see them again in the liquor store this year, and when I didn't see them I had to order them from the Hammond Candy web site. They are just so beautiful, and come in luscious flavors. My favorite is the chocolate filled cherry one. YUM! There's also cinnamon filled, gingerbread, pear, apple...
Anyway, they're so beautiful I couldn't cover them up in a box, or package, so this is what I came up with;


They're very, very big candy canes (9") so this folder style card with the cane attached is very big. Pretty, but kind of cumbersome.


How about that antique candy cane DP from Karen Foster? Is it a perfect match to these or what?! The image is from Penny Black, water colored with Distress inks and markers. I went back with some colored pencil to do the soft amber glow around the image.



The rest of the candy canes are much simpler, with just a tag attached to it. Some more snowmen, one from Penny Black again and the other from Whipper Snapper. 


The candy cane on the left is the gingerbread flavor one, and on the right is peppermint. Aren't the colors just divine! I haven't tried the gingerbread one yet, but the peppermint and cherry ones are delish.



It's off to work for me, but I've got quite a few days off this week, thank goodness, I plan on baking those snowflake cookies. Of course I'll take pictures and share them here.


Thanks for dropping by, have a great week!


Stamps: Penny Black, Whipper Snapper, Cornish Heritage Farms, PTI
Ink: Versafine, Distress, Marvy Heritage
Paper: Core'dinations, Karen Foster, PTI, Fabriano w/c paper
Tools & Accessories: Nestabilities, Amuse Studios snowflake die, Marvy/Uchida snowflake punches, glass glitter, SU tiny tag punch, sewing machine, PTI buttons, baker's twine, Tombow/SU markers, acrylic paint, SU ribbon, wide striped grosgrain ribbon, Spellbinders Labels/Lacy Circles, Sizzix embossing folder, Tonic ticket punch duo, EK Success tiny scallop edge punch, colored pencils, OMS

6 comments:

  1. These are really beautiful... and they look yummy, too! =) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A AWESOME DISPLAY OF PROJECTS. I REALLY LOVE THAT PAPER. I MAY HAVE TO GO ON A SEARCH FOR THAT. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL PROJECTS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM!! they look devine. Love your project.
    HUgs
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW, Katrina! These are just fabulous! We don't go much on candy canes in the UK, but they look adorable, and your descriptions are quite mouthwatering! You wouldn't like to send me one to try would you? lol.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours

    Judi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card and tags are beautiful. I have to say those candy canes look gorgeous too - such pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wow what a super traditional idea they are all so beautiful and festive ! I don't always comment but I just wanted to thankyou for all your inspiration this year and I wish you a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year ! Lots of Crafty Hugs Kitty ;0) x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment!