Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The card that almost wasn't...

I really wanted to do a 'scenic' type card with a frozen pond, and was playing around with SU's 'Winter Post' and various tree stamps from my stash. I made several attempts that did not work out the way I wanted. I decided I really wanted a Sepia photograph look, so the trees and snow were done with browns only. Ultimately, I used a torn piece of paper for a mask, and started sponging the 'snow' drifts with Distress inks and daubers.
The 'pond' was also done with a torn paper mask and I sponged in some Weathered Wood Distress ink to create the banks. Then I just used the dauber to streak some color across the surface of the pond as well, all with a very light hand. After all the sponging, I covered the lake with Liquid Glass, and while it was wet, sprinkled some fine glitter all over it. I wasn't too happy with it at this point, and was ready to give it the heave-ho, but made myself wait till it was dry. I colored up the skaters with Copics, cut them out and waited. I'm really glad I did, because even though I still wasn't crazy about it, I made myself complete the card. I sponged some Distress Inks around the edges, adhered the skaters and this was the end result.
There are a couple of things I would've done differently at this point, but all in all, I'm very happy with it! I will definitely try this again, maybe on a smaller scale.

Lesson Learned: Don't be too hasty to give up on a project, if I've spent a lot of time on it, finish the card and see what I think when viewed as a completed card.

Stamps: SU, Impression Obsession Sm. Fir Tree, unknown bare tree, PTI sentiment
Ink: Distress, SU, Memories
Paper: My Mind's Eye, Heavenly white, Papertrey Ink
Accessories: Satin ribbon, Fiskars edger punch, Liquid Glass, Art Institute glitter, Copics, antique brads, SU modern label/word window punches

7 comments:

  1. This is lovely Katarina! Glad you waited for the final result before chucking it out! :) It's the overall result that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this is gorgeous!!!! I love everything about it!
    :)Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is stunning! Glad you didn't trash it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, well worth all your effort x

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHH!! I think this turned out LOVELY!! Love the sepia tone look to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pond is awesome! I've never been able to get this look, so now I have a different technique to try! I really love all of your different elements together as well as your coloring. TFS!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment!